Passport Suspension


Federal law requires that a parent with a past due child support obligation of $2,500 or greater shall not be issued a passport.


In California, you must pay off your child support arrears and bring your balance to zero ($0.00) in order for a passport to be issued or renewed. See Make A Payment.

Please note:  Passports are not automatically released once your balance is zero.  You will need to contact our office to request a release.


If you have the passport denial letter please have it handy when you call or bring it with you to our office. Our office will fax a release request once your child support balance is paid in full.


Exceptions may be made in the following situations


  • Mistaken identity
  • Immediate family member has life-threatening illness
  • Death of an immediate family member


If you have had a death of an immediate family member or have a family member who is imminently ill in another country, your case will be reviewed for temporary (30 day) release without full payment if you take the following steps:

  • Provide a letter from the doctor providing care
  • The letter needs to be translated to English
  • The letter needs to be notarized


Your passport will not be permanently released unless your balance is paid off in its entirety. The temporary release will activate your passport for only 30 days. DCSS will notify you by telephone regarding the results.


If you have any questions, please call 866.901.3212.