Locating a Case Participant


Information about a case participant is needed to carry out the administrative and legal services provided by the Alameda County Department of Child Support Services. Our department has access to several federal, state, County, and private resources that may assist in identifying information on a case participant, but your help is needed.


The most important information that you can provide is the parent’s Social Security number and any employer information that you know about. When a person makes a legal claim against another, the defendant must be given notice of the legal action to take the necessary steps to protect his or her rights. Our department may use certified mail or personal service to meet the state’s service of process requirements, so child support officials need a correct address. If you do not have the address, the child support office can try to find it. Our department commonly uses information from:


  • State and Federal tax files
  • Real and titled personal property records
  • Occupational and professional licenses
  • Employment Development agencies
  • Public assistance agencies
  • Motor vehicle departments
  • Law enforcement agencies
  • Vital statistics
  • Utility companies
  • Credit Reporting agencies
  • Financial Institutions
  • Court records
  • State and Federal Locator Services
  • Private locator agencies and systems