Opening a Child Support Case


The law requires Social Services to automatically request child support services on behalf of minor children for whom CalWORKS or Foster Care benefits are issued. However, anyone needing assistance with the establishment of parentage, the establishment of a child support order for monetary or medical support, or the enforcement of a child support order may complete and submit an application for these services.

You play a big role in getting the support your children deserves. Bring as much as you can of the following information and documents. This will help the child support office to locate the parent, establish paternity, and establish and/or enforce your child support order.


  • Information about the noncustodial parent
  • Name, address and Social Security number
  • Name and address of current or recent employer
  • Names of friends and relatives, names of organizations to which he or she might belong
  • Information about his or her income and assets – pay slips, tax returns, bank accounts, investments or property holdings
  • Physical description, or photograph, if possible
  • Birth certificates of children
  • If paternity is an issue, written statements (letters or notes) in which the alleged father has said or implied that he is the father of the child
  • Your child support order, divorce decree, or separation agreement if you have one
  • Records of any child support received in the past
  • Information about your income and assets
  • Information about expenses, such as your child’s health care, daycare, or special needs